Wow I almost did not get the any pics made before everything was sealed up. The plumbing, wiring, and heat and air are all totally roughed in. All of this did not happen without some events. If you have ever built anything and they have a codes department you already know to expect some issues.
The first problem was a failed electrical inspection. It was all minor b.s. that had nothing to do with the safety of the electrical wiring. It was just some code issues like wires nailed to the side of some of the 2×4’s too close to the finished wall material. We reworked the wiring and passed the next inspection.
Next came the city codes inspectors. They really only found one issue. I mentioned earlier about putting Studer vents in so as not to have any roof penetrations. Well it seems the codes calls for a least one vent that is vented to the exterior of the house. I have decided to run the vent out of the gable end of the house instead of through the roof.
We just about have the ceiling installed in 40 man hours. I am using 1/4 inch Luan (aka underlayment) for the ceiling. This material is least expensive thing I can find. Daniel and I put one coat of amber shellac on the panels in about 6 man hours. After all the panels are up we will strip or batten the joints with 1×3 pine to give it a finished look. I will also be using this material in the baths, closets, and utility room for cost. In the kitchen we are installing 1/2 inch Birch plywood. The reason for this is to have something more substantial to hang the cabinets on. You could do the 1/4 inch but I like to just fasten the cabinets wherever without worrying about hitting a stud.